March 18, 2015

A Rather New Base Routine.


I've been testing out a different kind of approach when it comes to my base these days and I've realized I haven't shared it on here. The reason why is that I've never quite figured out if I love it or the other way around. My skin is oily most of the time so I am always in search for a better base combination. Hydrating, moisturising and matte, if it were up to me. Otherwise I'd feel greasy and sweaty all over. However after a few more tries, I've finally arrived to the conclusion that this rather new base routine of creamy cakes combination is here to stay - I've fallen in love with it!

Whenever I'd come across a foundation that has cream to powder finish, I am always curious as to how it will sit on my skin. So when I spotted the Collection Ultimate Fix Compact Foundation during an idle trip to the make up isle, I really wanted to pick it up and thanks to my enabler of a friend Rora, I ended up buying it in the shade 02 Honey. Ultimately, what made me want to try this are the words lightweight and powder finish and since it revealed a velvety finish when I tried it on the back of my hand, I instantly loved the texture as it reminded me of the Inglot YSM Cream Powder which I mentioned here and which I have long been wanting to get for myself. The other shades are 01 Ivory and 03 Biscuit which can work as a cream concealer/highlighter and cream bronzer/contour respectively. For application, I go both ways - using a dense foundation brush and damp sponge alternately. I find the damp sponge technique more effective that's why I'm certain a purchase of the Real Techniques Miracle Sponge is going to happen sooner than later. It gives off a matte almost airbrush finish with a buildable coverage that doesn't feel heavy. Exactly where the magic words lightweight and powder-finish really comes in handy.

Onto the concealer, I thought I'd try a creamy one as I haven't tried anything like it since Benefit Lemon Aid back in the day and that's more brightening than concealing, so when I laid my eyes on the Essence Match 2 Cover Cream Concealer in 10 Natural Beige, I thought I'd finally give it a go. Creamy in consistency, easy to blend and with two shades to combine to match your skin tone and/or cover your blemishes, I'd say this is a good one for its price. The lighter one on the left I use for highlighting purposes, the slightly warmer one on the right I use to conceal blemishes and redness then a good mix of the two to cover the dark circles under my eyes. And guess what, it actually works. Buffing it in with a dense brush gives a flawless finish but once again, the damp sponge technique gives you that seamless finish and who wouldn't want that, best of both the concealer worlds.

However, it is quite understandable that this routine may be not be ideal for everyday use especially when you're in a hurry or you couldn't be bothered to blend the heck out of the cream foundation and concealer because it will take a while to blend and buff especially when you've always been a liquid foundation kind. Although once you get used to it, you'll be surprised how you'd be done in a jiffy and believe me when I say, the end result is worth it. I reserve this base routine for days when I will be out the whole day or the whole night because even if it takes a while to get done, once it's blended out, it stays there for good and the powder finish kind of locks it in to your skin - wouldn't budge, crease, cake but I find it slightly drying but nothing a good primer or moisturiser can't fix. I'd say all that's always worth all the bother, you reckon?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...