October 28, 2014

Why I Chopped 8 Inches Off My Hair.


The drill. Basically, you get a free haircut in exchange of your hair in all of its 8 inch glory while making children with cancer happy - one new wig at a time. Winning! For someone like me who's decided on getting rid of it all in the first place, the chop wasn't really that much of a challenge, it's more of an opportunity. Showing up for the event however was since I haven't fully recovered yet but I didn't want to bother myself some more by missing out so I just rolled with the punches as I go.

The cause. New wigs for children with the Big C will be made out of the 8 inches of hair chopped off you. That's the Matrix 8 Inch Cut For Cancer Challenge in a nutshell which is a movement initialized by Matrix Salon, an American salon brand who's been around for about 30 years now in order to raise awareness and change lives of children with cancer. Together with David's Salon and Kythe Foundation, the event wherein more than 400 brave men and women got involved took place in SM The Block last October 25.

The process. Two words: Organized queuing. It made the difference. I signed up online, received a confirmation thru SMS, booked my preferred time slot, showed up and got chopped. A ziplock with your name will be handed over to you upon registration and the waiting time isn't even that long, I was 9th for my batch and I was assisted to a hairstylist in no time - beats the fastest salon time I can recall.

The chop. I picked out Love from the 8 stylish haircut ideas representing what you'll be able to give out to the children with cancer when you take the challenge. Alongside with Joy, Bravery, Hope, Strength, Confidence, Chance and Willpower which I personally think is just the cutest detail of personal touch into an already awesome concept.

The aftermath. Now this is the best part. You might think since it's for free and it's for a good cause, the chop will be just like that - a chop. But it's not! The hairstylist assigned to me personally groomed, styled and even texturized my haircut to perfection! No compromise at all. And I think that's why this movement is such a genuine success in more ways than one.

To find out more, you can visit the Matrix Salon Facebook Page and get involved as well. If you're looking into making a difference both in your life and in others, this may just be the opportunity you have long been waiting for. I know it has been mine and I have you to thank for that, Matrix Philippines! Now, can somebody pass me the dry, texturizing spray please...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...