August 15, 2014

HOW I FILL IN MY EYEBROWS.


Before I start off, I think two #thisclaimers are just about in order. First one, this isn't a tutorial of some sort. Actually, this isn't a tutorial at all. As promised, this is just to show you how I fill in my brows on a daily basis using the Etude House Eye Brow Pencil. Secondly, that isn't normally how I look when I am filling in my brows. Actually that is nowhere near my actual look at all. The one I included on this post is definitely more likely me on a daily basis. But it turns out, some poses make you feel selfie ready and sometimes, a girl's gotta do what she's gotta do. That pout though, I gotta admit I've been having a good laugh myself just by looking at it. Anyway, now that we've got 'em out of the way, let's get crackin'...

One of the first things I can think of when I get asked about eyebrows is to advice girls to get theirs done. And the safest way to get them done is to let the professionals do it for you. Don't even try to shape them yourself unless you are 101% sure of your skills. Seriously, just don't. I had mine threaded a few years back and although I obviously need to get some threading done soon because they are looking slightly wonky already, I've managed to try and keep them in shape by plucking any hair that grows in excess every time. Having said that, if you haven't already, I say go get them done girl! You can thank me later. Have them trimmed, plucked, threaded or waxed. Have it your way but just get it done. I talked about the Benefit Brow Bar services in here if you're looking for options. Although I personally prefer having them threaded because I find that it gives me the perfect shape and more precised finished because the thread gets even the tiniest hair out of the way. Once you get the shape done, it's easier to maintain from there on. PS. All of them services ought to hurt at some point, but nothing a cuppa ice cream or a bar of chocolate can't fix. So now, onto the steps...

What I like to do first is to brush through my brows. This step works two ways for me. Using the spoolie end of the pen, I lightly run through my brows to give them a good clean up, get rid of any foundation or powder in excess. And then depending on my strokes, I help define its shape a bit more by directing the strands on where I want them to be, like lifting them up towards the high point of the arch and then combing them down towards the ends. And then I switch to the other end and retract the pencil tip slowly. Now, you don't need the get all the product out of the tip. You actually just need a small piece of it peaking through the end, just enough to help you be able to draw anything with it. Because when you go slightly longer, there's a huge chance of the whole thing breaking off once you start applying pressure on it. I've learned this the hard way, a little can definitely go a long way with this. Following its outlines, I draw a template of my brows caging the strands in. And then using feather-like strokes, I move on to fill the gaps in starting from the opposite way first. This way you can be sure that even the spaces in between gets filled in as opposed to going the right way from the beginning. Now onto the next step which is to blend them all in by brushing through following the natural pattern of the hair. Continuous blending and brushing through will help remove any harsh drawing lines and/or any excess deposit of the product in unwanted spaces. When I find an area darker than the rest, usually that's my base near the nose line, I tend to wiggle my way out of it using the spoolie end until I get my desired look which is a more natural looking finish. Once you're done, there will be traces of waxy powder or pencil lines around the area which you can clean one out with a qtip but for every day use, ain't nobody got time for that. I normally just go around the edges with my fingers to give them a good swipe

I know it looks like a bit complicated because of the slight word vomit at some point but it's only because I needed to do a detailed step by step guide for this post. But trust me, once you've gotten the hang of it, you'll find out it's basically the easiest way to get a natural looking eyebrow in a matter of minutes. Brush through. Draw the lines, Fill in the gaps. Brush through again... et voila! One last tip for the road, if and when you can, never ever leave your home without filling in your brows. It doesn't have to look superb, just fill them in so they'd look nice. It'll change your life, it definitely changed mine. And yep, those are velcro hair straps peepin' thru the sides of my hair, oops!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...