November 20, 2012

TGTC Who?

I can clearly remember an incident when someone asked me if I were a beauty blogger during one of the not-so-many events I've invited to as a legit Dubai-based blogger. You'd think I'd answer plainly with an affirmation or a negation but I knew myself better than that - I answered back with a smile. I wanted to say yes but that doesn't make it true and if I say no where does that leave me?

I came across this Sylvia Plath quote which definitely says a whole lot about my dilemma: "I am still so na├»ve; I know pretty much what I like and dislike; but  please, don't ask me who I am. A passionate, fragmentary girl, maybe?" I know, at 26 I should probably have a better idea of myself already, for this blog at the very least, but I haven't. At least not yet. So maybe I will have to borrow Miss Plath's words the next time someone asks me who I am, or what I am. And then I came across this Thought Catalog article just now, A Girl In The City and its a home run.

How is it that she is not continually amazed with herself?
But no, look, see how she keeps the world at a distance.
She keeps things at a distance, with her precise, clock-like movements.
The light shines on her. It shines on her hair, saying, you are there.
But she does not know that she is there.
I only ever wanted to document a life of a twenty-something girl who took a huge leap of faith some three years ago. So huge that it included a luggage bag, a passport and a one-way ticket to DXB aka My Comforter Zone. This twenty-something girl is a pharmacist by profession but actually a writer and storyteller enthusiast altogether so she figured keeping a blog is one surefire way of keeping tabs with her life outside the job, hence www.thegirlandthecity.blogspot.com was born. Little did she know, it will grow into something else entirely. She started doing a bit more of every little thing from dressing up to putting on make up, going places to attending concerts, discovering new music to reading a whole lot of books and writing short stories. Which makes up a beautiful mess of all the things she's passionate about all in one place.

So, if you'd ask me about this blog's identity - a passionate, fragmentary blog, maybe?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...