October 03, 2011

TGIS E06 : CoachT is My New Coach Whitey

I. Coach Whitey

"The important thing is not to be bitter over life's disappointments. Learn to let go of the past. And recognize that every day won't be sunny, and when you find yourself lost in the darkness and despair, remember it's only in the black of the night you see the stars. And those stars will lead you back home. So don't be afraid to make mistakes, to stumble and fall, cause most of the time, the greatest rewards come from doing the things that scare you the most. Maybe you'll get everything you wish for. Maybe you'll get more than you could have ever imagined. Who knows where life will take you. The road is long and in the end, the journey is the destination."Coach Whitey Durham | Just Watch The Fireworks | One Tree Hill S03E15 (2oo6)

If you're a One Tree Hill fangirl just like myself, Coach Whitey needs no further introduction. He may be a fictional character but that doesn't mean I cannot have him in my list of favorite coaches. But of course, you can always blame my addiction to OTH back in college for that. But then, not totally.

II. CoachT


"These guys deserve to have the support of the Filipino people." - CoachT | Party Pilipinas | August 2o1o.

And if you're a Smart Gilas Pilipinas fangirl just like myself (again), like Coach Whitey, CoachT needs no further introduction. Only he's no fiction whoever, he's a real deal. Eventually, he made it to the elite list of my favorite coaches. Of course, you can always blame my existing Gilas addiction for that, too. But then (again), not totally.

III. The Girl

I met him personally, together with the rest of the Gilas Team, last January 2o11 when they joined the Emirates NBD Invitationals Cup for the second year in a row. I had a few moments with him. One was when I asked for the photo above. It's actually him who asked me, "Do you want a photo too?" HAHAHA! I was too shy and starstruck to approach so he kind of spare me the jitters! And the rest would be when he'd just be hanging out with us outside after each game night. There was even a particular night when he had to tell the guards to back off and let us have our chance with the National players. He knows how basketball crazy Filipinos can get so he told the guards that. "Let them. We're not in a hurry. They came here for them. My players are not tired."

Photobucket

During the last game night, he was the first one to come out to face us, t'was a game we lost to Egypt. He apologized for coming up short and thanked everyone who's been coming from all over to watch each and every game to show their support and he promised they will be back again next year. In his words, "See you next year, we will be back!"

And I wish I had more to share like that of Christopher John's. From afar, CoachT already seems to be a very nice man and I'd love it very much to get to know him and learn stuff from him. He's shared his experience with CoachT in his personal blog and his post moved me to tears. Especially the part where CoachT gave him his chip. Iyak-iyakan talaga ko. You can check it out here. Eversince Day1, CoachT has nothing but praises and good things to say about Christopher John. He has put so much faith in him and seeing that kind of faith one person like CoachT is capable of giving to another person like Christopher John is an inspiration we can always put to good use. And in the long run, this faith has been passed on to each and every member of the team. His faith and respect for the Gilas Boies and our whole country as a basketball crazy one as a whole never faltered. To think he's not even Filipino by blood. If only for that CoachT, thank you. You have been such an inspiration to us Filipino basketball fans in more ways than one.

For now, enjoy home with your family CoachT! It's been too long already. Get some well-deserved rest. And thank you so much for the wonderful Gilas journey and memories! I'll keep replaying 'em on my mind until the time you'll be able to keep what you promised. If and when that happens, I promise you CoachT, I will be seeing you there!

And if this is already an end of something, if the journey is indeed the destination, then this journey is surely one heck of an amazing destination!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...